Valarie's Blog

Saturday, April 08, 2006

A vacation dream

I'm sure lots of people know by now that I'd planned to go on a cruise last October. It didn't happen. Seems like I was the only person who really wanted to go, in the group. It would have been my first vacation since 2002. Actually, I don't get to go many places, being single. (I got to go on a vacation sometime around 1995 before that... and didn't get a choice in where I went or what I did. Matter of fact, I got treated like a child - someone expected me to ask her permission to go places by myself, and said nasty, mean things to me when I tried to find some way to entertain myself that didn't fall under her scheme.)

And no matter what anybody may think, the thought of going off someplace all by myself and having to spend all that time alone just isn't appealing. Sure, it sounds wonderful to the married people I know, but for someone who's always alone already... I might as well be stuck at home with nobody to talk to than spending a few thousand dollars being lonely too.

Hey, if going off on a vacation by myself actually worked, I'd go. I really would. But I've done it before, and I know how it works out. Always by myself, the whole time.

Anyway, I've given up on the thought of a cruise. They're really a reward for families and people who've actually been able to find someone to care for them. :) I don't fall into that category, as you can guess. There's really no such thing as a "singles" cruise unless you don't mind actually being part of the crew on one of those Windjammer cruises, and I can just see myself trying to fit in with the crowd there. It would be like an episode of Survivor, but instead of them voting me off the island, they'd just push me overboard in the middle of nowhere. Either that or I'd be so bothered that, because I wasn't one of the 20-something "hotties" on the boat that nobody would even talk to me, I'd wind up spending all of my waking hours literally working on the boat, just wishing it was over.

I would like to go to Atlantis sometime though. Whenever I went swimming as a little girl, I liked sitting down on the bottom of the pool and looking up at the sky through that weird light diffusion that the water surface does. It was nice and quiet -- the only problem was that there was nothing to look at unless other people were in the pool, and then you could look at.... their legs. Some actual scenery would be nice, you know? All those shades of blue and green... nice and peaceful. :) I even wear them sometimes, though they only look good when I have a tan, since my un-tanned skin tone is kind of olive.

I'm not sure if my interest in all of that underwater stuff started because I liked reading the original "The Little Mermaid" (Disney's version is unforgivable!) in third grade, or because I saw "Warlords of Atlantis" on HBO at about the same time. All right, stop laughing... I thought it was a seriously cool movie, except for that giant octopus that pulled the ship down. Put that together with "Jaws" and you've created a serious lifelong distrust of dark ocean water for this girl. If I can see through the water, I'm fine with it. It's what I can't see that scares me. LOL

And when we went to Florida in 1978, I didn't yet know how to swim (though my sister did), but my stepmother forced us to get out into the Atlantic in water to my shoulders, with an undertow. I was thinking "sharks". In the pool, I was thinking "sharks in the deep end". Quite an active imagination, but now that I think about it, maybe my stepmother was trying to see if she could drown me? Hmm..

Well, now I can swim and I don't care if I die or not, but I think I'd like to go to Atlantis. :) I'd take tons of pictures, and I'd do my darnedest to take some on my way down the water slides through the shark tank, too. Snorkeling, scuba diving, parasailing... all of it sounds like fun to me.

Anybody out there want to take a trip with me? They've got some packages that are REALLY reasonable in price....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home