Valarie's Blog

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Sometimes being right is just no good at all

My sister called to let me know she won't be helping me paint tomorrow. I figured that. I've been waiting two months now for some help, and I really didn't expect to get it, so it isn't a surprise. I doubt she'll come over Thursday, either. I'm sure something will come up.

And even if it doesn't and she does come over, I'm not so sure that there's any point to painting the rest of the kitchen anyway. I got one set of cabinets finished. It took me a week. Keep in mind that

  • I prepared the surfaces properly
  • I removed all of the hardware to paint it too
  • I used a fairly expensive high-adhesion primer that's supposed to make paint even stick to ceramic tile
  • I used good quality paint and not the cheap stuff
  • I put 2 coats of primer on (because I had to)
  • and I put 2 coats of paint on (because the one coat paint wasn't covering in one coat like it promised to do)

I barely leaned a cabinet door against the cabinet frame until I got the hinges reattached, and it pulled the paint right off the wood. This is paint that's been dry for 24 hours now. What do I do when the paint just starts falling off the rest of the varnished surfaces, which, by the way, cover EVERY square inch of the kitchen walls. This primer was supposed to make the paint bond into the varnish, without sanding. (I tried the sanding and priming route last summer... It took 5 coats of Kilz primer to stop the old varnish and stain from bleeding through the primer and staining it brown.)

So... Kilz 2 doesn't really work. Bullseye 1-2-3 doesn't really work.

I looked up the estimated value of my house (which I desperately want to sell and get out of, because I hate it here) on zillow.com, and it's $13,000 LESS than what I paid for it 5 years ago. Now instead of worrying that the pecan tree is going to fall on the house in a tornado one day, I'm hoping that it does, and crushes me underneath the whole mess, so I'll stop trying to fix up this money (and time) pit. I feel absolutely trapped in this house and my life.

4 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, May 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, Val, things are really tough for you right now. When I redid my dark varnished cupboards, I stripped the varnish first with a product that made the varnish bubble up in about 10 - 15 minutes, then I just wiped it off. (Sorry I can't remember the name of the product.) After I had it all wiped off, I wiped down the surfaces with turpentine, waited 48 hours, primed with Kilz and then applied my white paint. I hope this helps! *hugs*

     
  • At Saturday, May 13, 2006, Blogger Veronica said…

    Wish I was closer! I love to paint and would be over to help you! :)I had the same problem with my kitchen...well actually my mom and I took the time to take all the hardware off and sand each piece of the kitchen cabinets. Then primed everything and painted and it's peeling off like crazy! I was so bummed. But we found some stuff now at Lowe's that is suppose to kill stain! It's called Cover Stain by Zinsser. It is an oil based paint and it stinks like crazy but it did just what it was suppose to do with no peeling!! :) I plan on using it throughout the house to cover all the dark stained wood trim. :)

     
  • At Wednesday, August 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Veronica has the right idea. My brother is a professional painter and he told me that Cover Stain by Zinsser is MUCH better than any formula of Kilz. I'm about to paint my kitchen cabinets, but I won't have the problem you are having because mine aren't stained. I wish they were a good quality oak wood so that I could stain them. I love an oak finish. I will also be taking every cabinet door down an taking all hardware off and doing it right. All the hinges were painted over when we bought this house and I replaced all 50+ hinges because I hate painted hinges.

    One of my friends added onto her house and it was her son-in-law who did the work. He is a professional house building contractor. She had beautiful stained oak cabinets, but wanted everything painted white. Since her son-in-law did the work, I would have thought surely he would do it right. I don't know if he did, but I do know that the paint on those cabinets is chipping. Nothing major yet, but chipping, and it's only been a little over a year. She said they strongly advised her NOT to paint the cabinets.

     
  • At Thursday, December 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My brother is a professional painter and he says the Zinsser is the best. You can buy it at WalMart.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home