Valarie's Blog

Friday, April 21, 2006

Waaaah! I sound awful!

"The Phantom of the Opera" is playing in the living room, and as much as I love to sing along with the movie (all of it), I can't quite get past the fact that I sound like a hoarse frog. :( I sound terrible right now. My voice totally cracks if I try to hit anything in the soprano range. On the other hand, I wasn't having any trouble singing the Phantom's parts... *rolling eyes*

I'm still coughing my way through allergy-induced bronchitis, which makes me feel asthmatic after I finish a coughing fit. I just can't catch my breath, doggone it. Why would someone do this to herself deliberately by smoking, I have to wonder?

I think by Monday, I may have my sense of smell back. At least my nose isn't running like crazy anymore.

I've been enjoying the free air conditioning mother nature's been providing the past couple of days. Nice and cool outside, and opening the windows makes it the perfect temperature in the house. I'm hoping I can make up for those two months of $250 utility bills.

I KNOW that was mainly the gas bill - the cost has skyrocketed around here, and I'm sure that my clanky water heater is not helping matters any. If I can get someone to watch over me when I turn off the gas, I'll try draining the sediment out of it sometime this weekend and see if that doesn't end the clanking and improve its efficiency.

It would be nice if I could install one of those tankless water heaters that Rinnai makes instead of replacing this gas heater with another one. I heard on the radio this morning that the government will give consumers who put them in a $300 tax credit. That's pretty nice. It ought to work out to about $100 in actual tax relief. Still, they say that those things pay for themselves in four months. Let's see... 4 months x $250 = $1000. Hopefully one wouldn't cost $1000! But I'll bet that I'd have to get some qualified person to both install it and close off the gas line to where the water tank used to be. I'm sure that even if the heater only cost $600, the other $400 would be installation and shipping costs. Hmm... might be worth it though. I bet it would increase the resale value of my house.

It would certainly eliminate that icky gas smell when the heater refills and kicks on. Why is it that I'm the only one sensitive enough to notice that smell? On the other hand, I knew that someone had eaten microwave popcorn several hours before (a couple of weeks ago) because I could smell a faint scent of the butter flavoring on his hair. LOL Not that I think he got THAT into his popcorn... It was kinda funny. He gave me the strangest look when I asked him if he'd been eating popcorn earlier... microwave popcorn, specifically.

Well, it's been mentioned to me before that I seem to notice more subtle fragrances than the average person does, to the point of recognizing the specific uh, scents of the people I know. LOL Okay, maybe I'm just part dog. Woof.

I've been working on my uh... disaster prep kit, and now it lives in a rolling suitcase that is almost too heavy to carry. LOL And it doesn't even have water in it. But it's got pretty much everything I'd need if I had to grab a bag and run in case of an earthquake or tornado. Shoes, sturdy clothes, duct tape, food, bathroom stuff.

When the pecan tree falls on my house and squishes me, let's just hope that I'm in my bedroom at the other end of the house at the time. I'll definitely be better off. I'm still not comfortable with the fact that my "safe place" is a bathroom sandwiched between the gas lines going to my water heater and the gas lines going to my central heating unit. I'm gonna get toasted like a marshmallow if they rupture and I'm in that bathroom or the hallway beside it! It's the only "central safe place" Oh, and don't forget that the pecan tree is hanging over that part of the house. Eek.

Maybe I should just go and hide in my bedroom closet??? It's on the end of the house, but wouldn't that be safer than being squashed and flambeed?

1 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, May 02, 2006, Blogger Me said…

    What can I say that won't incriminate me? He just happened to be close enough for me to smell his hair. :D

    I couldn't tell you if it runs in the family or not... Since EVERYBODY but me smokes, I doubt they can smell anything... ick.

    Naturally, the can opener was the first thing I packed. Along with several cans of things that won't need a can opener. LOL Repeat after me: Val is paranoid. Val is paranoid. Val is paranoid.

    I won't have to worry about running with the suitcase. It has wheels! hehehe

     

Post a Comment

<< Home