Valarie's Blog

Saturday, April 15, 2006

I didn't go to the prom.... *sob!*

Okay, maybe I should 'fess up here. My school didn't allow us to have a prom.

The reasoning behind that decision was that it was "only a way for the rich kids to make the poor kids feel bad because they couldn't afford to buy expensive formals." Hmm. Okay, well it sounds altruistic, anyway. I certainly wasn't one of those rich kids, and my stepmother would definitely have not taken me shopping for a dress. But I did have a job, and I'd have gladly saved up for a prom dress. In fact, lots of kids without money had actual jobs. Go figure.

I was just watching "Pretty in Pink" again, and wondering if I'd have ended up in the same situation. Granted, the economic differences weren't quite as big for me as they were in that movie, and I'm sure nothing that dramatic would have happened, but dances and I don't get together for happy endings. LOL The simple truth is that I can't dance. Nobody ever taught me. It really isn't as simple as just getting out there and moving around. Do that, and you look like a frog in a blender. People laugh at frogs in blenders.

All right, I'll be honest. I don't actually believe in any of that romantic stuff that I've seen in movies anymore. Why? Lack of empirical evidence. It would be nice if men got ideas from watching some of those movies, but I honestly believe they only do that sort of thing if they're trying to manipulate a woman. And then you don't hear from them for a couple of weeks at a time, for no particular reason. Of course there's a reason, but it's their own personal agenda.

Anyway, I still love the music from that movie. :) Watching Andrew McCarthy and James Spader's not half bad either, though Jimmy does look like he's stoned through most of the movie. I'm just not a fan of that half-open eyes look...

Within a few short years of my graduation from high school, they reinstated having the prom there. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home